A dozen ways to be a
- Don't visit the forums you are moderating often. Once a week is
enough. Nobody cares.
- Don't start new threads at your forum. That's the users'
responsibility. You are only there for editing and deleting threads.
- Argue with users as much as you can. You don't have anything to
loose since you are the moderator. Never bring personal matters to private
messages. And remember that your opinion is the only one that counts.
- Don't respect the other members, make fun of them. They deserve
your snide comments. If they make spelling errors then criticize them, if
they have a poor opinion or weak argument destroy them with words. If they
ask for help about using the forum don't help them.
- If nobody answers a thread don't answer yourself, the user didn't
wanted an answer anyway.
- Resolve a complaint against a post you authored. You might even
find a reason to ban that user who dares complain about moderators.
- If a user makes a dupe thread in the forum don't be nice, it's the
usersí fault not to know the 40+ pages that the forum has in search of a
similar thread. And never ever give him a link to the content he is
- Don't try to clean-up insults or negative speculation about others
in posts. Fights are fun!
- If a user is misbehaving ban him immediately, don't try sending
him a private message or a warning, it's useless. Users who break to rules
deserve to be scolded and punished.
- Close all the threads you want. Users love to see closed threads.
- A way to be cool is to talk about the private forum threads,
messages, or complain about how the forum is being run in the public
forum. Administrators and other volunteers love the fact that you tell all
the users about the content of the private threads and messages. The users
have a right to hear about what you donít like about the forums or what
others have written.
- Say whatever you feel in private threads or messages as the forum
rules donít apply to you there.
Feel free to comment on these
or add any that I am missing. Remember that the purpose is to be a really bad
* Adapted from Rigelís 10 rules for being a bad moderator
these actual Moderator rules